Tuesday, February 26, 2008

rab reisner

Well this was the first time i had ever listened to a Jewish person speak about their religion. I am not Jewish, I'm not religious at all really. I don't have any Jewish friends, and i have never even as much as read about something that had to do with any thing in the Jewish community. My high school cut the holocaust out of the curriculum so i don't even have that much background.
My mind was very stimulated, and i thought very much after class about the concept of Tikkun Olam. I am still not sure if i agree or disagree with the idea of being able to tweak the bible (im not sure if they call their writings the bible so sorry) according to todays society even taking into consideration some "pop culture." I know nothing about the rules for being gay and religion accept that its usually not good. And i feel that changing Jewish law from what the bible says about homosexual behavior to what is accepted by todays liberal population is not exactly holey. Thats as far as i wanted to get into the topic of homosexuals, but regardless the concept of Tikkun Olam was interesting and thought stimulating to me.
The issue with food being produced in a humane way, and their being a "stamp of approval" for the foods who's production was supervised and considered acceptable made such incredible sense to me that it was hard for me to believe this was not already being done everywhere. I grew up on a dairy farm and treating our animals humanely and ethically and making sure things were as clean and correct as possible was our main priority. We believed that the animals give back to you only as mush as you gave to them. And the same went for our workers, we believed that the better we treated them the higher quality work and product we would get. I believe it should be federal law that every part of the food production process from animal to worker to plant to machine to factories should be monitored and only sold if approved. Im very happy that the Jewish have stepped up and started such a system. Im probably the most "out there" entry, sorry, like i said this is my first experience with any knowledge of the religion or its people.

No comments: