Sunday, February 24, 2008

Response to Rabbi Reisner

I found Rabbi Reisner's lecture to be very interesting and thought provoking. Last semester in a Jewish Studies class, I learned how different movements deal with Halakha. However, it is very different to hear a leader of a movement discuss this. I consider myself socially liberal and Jewish, whether or not this is in complete accordance with Jewish tradition. As we heard, Jewish tradition is composed of both Rabbinic and Biblical tradition. Rab. Reisner used both in his explanations of homosexuality and the new cheksher tzedek. I think it is in the true spirit of tikun olam to ensure that food is prepared according to law with utmost respect for human dignity. However, I am not sure if I am comfortable with some of the logic Rab. Reisner used to explain the Conservative movement's view on homosexuality. As Rabbinic tradition is from man, it is fallible. As he explained, much of it exists to prevent any sort of infraction on a Biblical prohibition and the different penalties for infractions reflect this. Biblical prohibitions are found directly in the Torah, the word of HaShem. While it is impossible to follow every single commandment in its entirety, they are generally clear in their meaning. I understand that person's sexual orientation is not by choice, but I have trouble following Rab. Reisner's explanation of the Conservative Movement's position. Two passages in Leviticus explicitly forbid homosexual acts between men as well as other various sexual prohibitions. It does not say that homosexuality is wrong, but some practices are wrong. Rab. Reisner's explanation using human dignity as a trump to HaShem's word does not sit well with me. I am not sure how homosexual practices fit into Jewish law, but I did not find that explanation to be a satisfactory solution to the issue.

No comments: