Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rabbi Reisner - Tikkun Olam Response

I thoroughly enjoyed Rabbi Reisner's talk about Tikkun Olam. I am a Reform Jew and because this is how I was brought up I never really think about the struggle with old Rabbinic laws and literature. I am a large proponent of Tikkun Olam in todays society both in the social action definition and the classic Rabbinic literature definition. I do believe that some of the classic laws although they are traditional should be updated to fit present society. This was definitely interesting and refreshing to see some of these topics, which were forbidden, brought back and reviewed in todays light. Although I have a very liberal view of topics such as homosexuals, I appreciate attempts to redefine the meaning of the Rabbinic text and the fact that human dignity overrules Jewish law even if it did not lead to a consensus amongst the Committee of Jewish Law and Standards.

The Hechsher Tzedek story was very interesting as well however I did not see how this was an example of Tikkun Olam as much as the first. I don't think this was a change from Rabbinic Law it was an addition. They were keeping the standards set by Kashrut officials but they were adding a new stamp that would ensure human safety and treatment. I do think this is a good idea and I would definitely be more inclined to purchase something that was made by a company who treated their employees fairly.


Overall, I definitely enjoyed Rabbi Reisner's speech and am looking forward to learning new things.

No comments: