Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rabbi Reisner Response

I really enjoyed Rabbi Reisner's topic. This was for a few reasons. First of all, I think Tikkun Olam; social and community service is so important. I find that one of Judaism's best attributes is the importance it places on Tikkun Olam. I had, though, never thought of Tikkun Olam by it's classic meaning which was brought from the Mishneh of ammending Jewish law so it is responsive to the real needs of the world. I thought it was really interesting that the conservative movement feels that they are reverting back to the earliest meaning of Tikkun Olam with the example of the question of Homosexuals in Judaism. I really enjoyed and appreciated the approach that they took to answering the question. The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards found a very open minded and sincere answer to a difficult question.
Secondly, I am really excited and interested in Hechsher Tzedek. I have always been really interested in products that ensure the betterment of society and the world. I always check to see that products are not tested on animals, or that the materials are made from recycled materials or can be recycled. I would definitely look out to buy those products that are marked with a Hechsher Tzedek in order to support those organizations that are truly acting with proper behavior.
I thought that Rabbi Reisner was a really engaging and interesting speaker. He was very deliberate and clear in his presentation and he answered all the questions asked really well.
-Amy Zitelman

No comments: