Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rabbi Reisner's Lecture

Rabbi Reisner began his lecture by talking about a definition of Tikkum Olam which I had never heard before. In regard to the rabbinic text, he said that it referred to remending Jewish law so it fits the needs of the world. This idea of remending law is new to me, as I attended a synagogue with a much more conservative view concerning textual observance growing up.
I found Rabbi Reisner’s description of the dichotomy in conservative judaism’s views toward homosexuality very eye opening. Although there was a consensus statement that “we do not discriminate against sinners,” the rest of the views were much more ambiguous. I had no idea about the rabbinic definition of sex, or the stipulation that a gay man could become a rabbi if he decided to remain celibate (though I am admitedly still puzzled by the logistics of that situation.)
On a side note, I also found it very interesting about the conservative ruling that hearing aids are permitted on Shabbat, since they ruled that human dignity overrides the electronic prohibition. Theoretically speaking however, could the principle of human dignity also be used to justify other prohibitions?

No comments: