Monday, May 26, 2008

Dr. Nemeth

I enjoyed Dr. Nemeth's speech. However, there were many errors in her research. She was pointing them out to us which I thought was strange to poke holes in your own data. Honestly, I didn't understand why she thought the data from Jews and non-Jews would be different on a topic like separation and attachment. Maybe after the holocaust there might be some differences, but now a days I feel that it would make no difference. Especially, if her study is polling mostly conservative and reformed Jews, whom grew up in mostly secular societies.
There is really nothing else to be talked about. It wasn't a topic to be discussed, it was more like heres my hypothesis and "oh... my hypothesis was right."
Lastly, I would have to disagree with her generalization that girls who are culturally Jewish have more self confidence and self esteem than Jews who are religiously Jewish. I believe that to be a bogus statement. I have never seen Jewish girls with less confidence and no self- esteem before I came to college. I came from an orthodox area and those girls would never put up with the garbage that cultural Jewish girls would. I have done no research on the topic, that is just my personal observation.

No comments: