Wednesday, May 21, 2008

rebeca davis

I felt professor Devis' presentation was very appropriately organized. Something I admire about the Jewish religion and the leaders is their awareness of our changing society and willingness to accept, adopt, and adapt to major changes in out society over time in a very positive and civil manner. The example presented in this lecture was how Jews dealt with rising divorce rated and the decrease in religious participation during WWII. They adapted to the new social situation and the Jewish leaders (as well as other American leaders at the time) developed marriage counseling. However, apparently the counseling focused not on the couples, but on the impact the couples divorce would have on the current and uprising Jewish community. With this comes several unanswered questions for me. To me, it seemed like the leaders were more concerned with the reputation of the Jewish community and how the divorces could make them all look. I would like to know why they were more concerned with that rather than the happiness of two fellow members of the community, weather married or single so be it. Aside from all that... I was slightly disappointed that the lecture lacked any solid body. For me some of her thoughts ideas and points that she tired to present seemed like incomplete thoughts. But i still mostly enjoyed it none the less.

No comments: