Monday, March 3, 2008

Dr. Cohen

Growing up with many friends in the Solomon Schechter schools and belonging to a synagogue that housed one, I found this lecture very practical, peaking my interest. I’ve always wondered about the origins of this movement, and what differentiates it from other like Jewish sects. I have heard the name Solomon Schechter everywhere, but little did I know how important he was to Judaism and what he is today. I found what Dr. Cohen said about the different interpretations of Judaism is very intriguing. I have always wondered why some forms of Judaism seems to have adapted to modern influences and the like practices of other religions. What I did not know was the big part Solomon Schechter played in the progression on Judaism through the twentieth century. Dr. Cohen did a great job explaining how the students went on to try and spread Judaism throughout the country and the great deal or adversity and scarce resources. He did a great job explaining in detail how the division in Judaism was unforeseen. I left with a much better understanding of how the Jewish assimilation and modernization cam about in America. It’s a very interesting transformation, and Dr. Cohen described it in detail and in very relatable terms.

No comments: