Sunday, March 16, 2008

Matthew LaGrone; Amy Zitelman

I have been trying to figure out who I agree with more; Kohut or Kohler.  Both have really interesting opinions on where Judaism should have gone in America.
Kohut wanted to extend the chain of tradition, thought that "reform is a deformity", and that fidelity to Jewish Law will preserve the Jewish people.
On the other hand, Kohler wanted to end the chain of tradition and live under American Law, was "receptive of ideas of present" and thought that the "rabbinic observe obsolete laws of bygone days."
After thinking about it for a while, I realized that Kohler's opinion really disturbed me.  Kohler was too reformed; almost to the extent that I believe that if we followed him, Judaism would be lost.  Although, if Kohut's ideas were wholly followed, it would be very difficult to live as a Jew in America. 
Hence, a combination of them is, in my opinion, the solution.  And it is a combination of their opinions that I find I live my life.  I am "receptive of ideas of present" but also follow Jewish tradition and laws as major parts of my life.
Although my balance makes me not as observant of a Jew, I find that the culture and tradition still unite me with my people, and my reforms keep my in contact with the world and others around me.

No comments: