Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Elliot Ratzman- Amy Zitelman

Mr. Ratzman's lecture was really interesting.  During his lecture I was thinking about my sister.  My sister, Jackie, is a really caring and giving person; so much so that most of her everyday thoughts revolve around giving to others.  She completely believes in an unending and infinite responsibility to others.  I really appreciate her and others like her who encourage people to make an extra effort to "click" on the breast cancer site, do freerice on the internet, and participate in other giving products such as those.  I really admire my sister and others that think and act like her, since I do not.  I appreciate their constant and sincere worry and obligation to others because, I admit, I am not that kind of person.  I am willing and happy to be able to give when I can, but I definitely need others to point me in the correct direction.
I appreciated the fact that Ratzman mentioned that Jews should not look at the demand of giving to others as a Christian view of Saints.  It is not our way to give completely of ourselves in order to provide for the other.  Rather there should be a balance; such as the Tzadik that still lives with his family and community.
This lecture was really inspirational to me.  It really made me want to make more of an effort to give when I can, and to live my life with the "others" in mind. 

No comments: