Monday, March 10, 2008

Jordan Rosenblum

I thought Jordan Rosenblum was very knowledgeable on pork and other food in Jewish culture. Personally, I love bacon, so it was very interesting to see the roots of the expulsion of pigs from Jewish Cuisine. I thought he did a great job of showing different examples, using ones that ranged from the time the torah was handed down to modern day films. He really researched and presented the topic in a professional manner. He linked food and a part of Jewish identity, which I found very true. As I look around in Jewish culture and tradition today, food is as big as a part of it as anything. This really shows the understanding Mr. Rosenblum has for Jewish life today. He didn’t only limit the discussion to pork being banned from Judaism. He told many stories and examples showing how the Jewish banishment of pork has led it to be looked down upon in many other cultures. I’ve always heard that many other cultures reject eating pigs as well, but Mr. Rosenblum was the first to really explain it in terms that applied to Jewish law and modern society.

No comments: