Sunday, March 9, 2008

Jordan Rosenblum- Amy Zitelman

Jordan Rosenblum's has been my favorite presentation so far.  I thought his topic was very relevant, interesting, and well presented.
Jordan mentioned that the Greek/Romans noticed 3 things about Jews; that they are circumcised, that they observe Shabbat, and that they do not eat pork.  If we still walked around naked, and lived in close communities I think today's society would notice the same 3 things since many people notice when people do not eat pork.  I was actually sitting in the dining hall, and mentioned to someone that I don't eat pork, and their immediate response was to ask if I was Jewish.
My friend, also Jewish, but not observant in the least bit, also doesn't eat pork.  She claims it is because she does not like the taste, but I think that on a subconscious level she does not eat pork because of her Jewish culture and heritage.  Her parents do not serve pork in her house, and although she does not follow anything else pertaining to Judaism, not eating pork was in a way etched into her being.
I think Jordan's focus in Judaism and our culture pertaining to food is an extremely interesting subject.  I for one love food, and know that it is an important concept in any Jewish gathering.  I think Jordan has really fun subjects to be able to add into the Jewish Studies courses here.
-Amy Zitelman

No comments: