Thursday, March 27, 2008

Elliot Ratzman

I thought Elliot Ratzman's speech was enlightening. I was especially drawn to his explanation of some theologists ideas about our responsibility to strangers. I like the idea of treating the relationship as holy, and essentially treating everyone as equals and with a blank slate. It is hard to imagine taking this idea to its fullest extent, because of basic human nature, but I like the ideal. A common thread of Judaism is the idea of the mitzvah and I thought this falls in that category. To be able to give to people you most likely will never meet is the ultimate mitzvah. Every day people get caught up in their own problems and don't consider how truly lucky they really are. Knowing that by donating a very insignificant amount of money could help cure children of a life-threatening disease is saddening to me because so few people actually do that. It is very honorable that many Jewish groups have stood up against other genocides not only because of the Holocaust but because of the injustices and atrocities that take place. I liked Ratzman's ideas of how to give as much as you can by using donations as wedding presents. In my own family during the holidays we give small presents to one person and donate the money we would have spent on everyone else to a specific charity. From this lecture I will definitely try to be a better person and Jew, trying to remember how fortunate I am and that I can always give something whether it be time or money to helping those who need it most.

1 comment:

Roni Sneiderman said...

hi sara!
just wanted to say that the only part of the lecture i did not like was that Ratzman gives donations to 'others' as wedding gifts.a jewish wedding signifies the most important phase of a persons life second to their birth.donations most definitely should be given,but at some other opportune time, not instead of wedding gifts.imagine if Ratzman came to my wedding and i said to him,'your plate of food,and all of your beverage consumption was donated to the hungry,but have fun anyway!'the point i'm trying to make is: matrimony is holy,giving to charity is holy.there is no need for one to replace the other;both are necessary and valueable.