Monday, April 21, 2008

Asaf Romirowsky

I’ve always known there was no simple resolution to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict plaguing the Middle East. However, I never knew the details and how deep the problems facing the region really are. Mr. Romirowsky’s lecture really highlighted the point that the Palestinians division amongst themselves is proving to be a major barrier when it comes to smoothing relations in the region. I always assumed that the people of Gaza and the people of the West Bank saw eye to eye, since they seem to have the same goals and the same motivation. I never fully grasped the tremendous difficulties facing the Palestinian people and there struggle for acceptance in the modern world. The fact that no country, not even those that share the same anti-Israel views and religious beliefs will shelter them says a lot. Terrorist organizations like Hammas and others are living evidence of the instability of Palestine and their views. Israel being blamed for Palestinian hardship instead of the numerous countries around it, which have done less to help the people, really tell the story of the bias the country faces. Like my previous posters I’m an advocate of peace in the region, yet I honestly can’t name the Israeli Prime Minister without looking it up. I really hope the 3 state plan the speaker brought up will become a reality, but the way things were described it seems very hard to negotiate with a group when that group doesn’t have any uniform organization.

No comments: