Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Elliot Ratzman

I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Ratzmans lecture. It was the kind of presentation that has the ability to open ones eyes to things you may not have ever thought twice about. I was particularly interested in the theologists ideas of our responsibility to strangers that he discusses. He elaborated on a few things that i always has in the back of my mind, but never really thought too thoroughly about. Its usually not enjoyable to listen to people speaking on such topics because you often leave with feelings of guilt, but Mt. Ratzman really discussed the topics with care and much optimism with very encouraging points. I was always uneasy about "giving back." I often felt my charity was insignificant and didn't really see how i was truly making a difference or where my money was going. I often found that time was a more valuable resource to give. But with both resources i was always unsure of how much i should have been responsible for giving (regarding church and non-church activities). Some of what Elliot spoke about cleared or opened different doors for questions i had. I myself am not Jewish but i really enjoyed learning some of the points of view on topics like this from the religion.

No comments: