Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Islam & Judaism

I was looking forward to this discussion because I have always been interested in the relationship between these two religions. Dr. Kahn showed us that Islam like many religions, extremists take the Koran too literally and this is how extremist viewpoints start. I always believed that the origins of Antisemitism stemmed from the Koran but I was surprised to hear that with a few exceptions the problem is mostly political. I was also surprised to see many stanzas in the Koran that point to Judaism as a religion of the "best people of the book" and that combined with Muslims are of one "Ummah" or community. It is really sad to me that Islamic scholars misinterpret the Koran in order to prove a point. I wish that people could see the positives in the Koran instead of looking for reasons to hate different groups of people. I was intrigued by the story Dr. Kahn told about adultery and Muhammad telling Jewish people to stay with their own rules in the Torah instead of trying to find punishment within the Koran. The misinterpreted line of "Who so judgeth not by that which Allah hath revealed: such are disbelievers," is misconstrued so much that it is used in the opposite light of how the Koran meant it. This line was supposed to show the Islamic idea that each religion sticks with their own rules because that is what God has shown them. One particular phrase that Dr. Kahn said was "Diversity is divine." I like this phrase because I think this illustrates the liberal way of thinking in many religions. Extremists want to make this fallacy and I wish that this could be the accepted view around the world so that people could just accept others for who they are.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Bothers will be brothers. So as long as they get along.