Monday, April 14, 2008

Dr. Khan's lecture

I have a great respect and interest for diverse religions and cultures. So when Dr. Khan came in to speak I was eager to hear what he had to say. I found his lecture interesting and thought provoking although I'm not sure Iagree with all the points he made. They were pretty general when it came to the interpretation of the Koran. I think that because with the inherent tension between Jews and Muslims, he may have held back on certain things, maybe some personal feelings. I suppose I get suspicious when a representative of a group that publicly displays hatred and terror comes and tries to smooth things over.
I had trouble following some of Khans points just because he spoke so soft and quickly. The point that Islam recognizes Judaism but Judaism does not recognize Islam is a strange one to me. The way i view religion, which is completely my own opinion, is that it isn't there for everyone. Its a belief and beliefs have boundaries therefore cannot encompass the masses. The idea that Judaism does not recognize Islam is almost irrelevant in my eyes because we have our views and they have theirs. It is not a matter of everyones prophet coming together in a story.
I thought that the connection between theology and politics was a very strong and interesting point. We often blur the boundaries between religion and politics and to pull them apart becomes difficult. It is true that it depends on the way you look at things.
This brings me back to the beginning when Dr. Khan spoke about the way you interpret the Koran is dependent on who you are. I agree with that point and think that it holds true for the Torah, the bible, and anything you encounter in life. Religion is what you make of it and inevitably becomes who you are, and how you project your beliefs into your everyday life.

No comments: